Wednesday 3 December 2008

Take this!

UPDATED: (for those nagging grammar and diction problems)
If certain people on the internet tubes would like more pictures, then I am happy to provide them. You're just lucky that I'm an insomniac and have nothing better to do at 2:00 am on a Tuesday night.

Hey look! It's Jeff drinking beer on the 4th of July! Imagine that!

Don't let the German flag in the background worry you - it was wrapped around the 1 kg Toblerone that we brought to Denver as a house-warming gift and was pure coincidence that it showed up on the holiday. I'm chanting "U.S.A! U.S.A!" on the inside. Trust me. And that look of surprise is the lingering shock from finding Cooper's Pale Ale (local brewery of Adelaide, South Australia) in Denver.

This one is entitled "Paleontologists taking the piss."

We're at a real, honest-to-goodness dinosaur dig site - as proven by the little tags and such - with actual fossils jutting out of the ground, and these wacky scientists have scattered an army of plastic dinosaurs everywhere. I suppose it's possible that they are trying to act out what happened 100 million ago, in a very rigorous and thoughtful fashion, using these little guys as models. However, I think it's much more likely that they just get drunk and chase each around holding pint-size T-rexes and making growling noises.

This picture really isn't funny at all. Unless you say "Clark Fork" with a wicked strong Aussie accent. And then see this identical sign about 20 times as you're driving along the highway.

And finally, here's Kate being all photogenic on a ferry out to Poulsbo. She's just happy that she finally got to see the Space Needle.

So there you have it. I hope we've satisfied our three dedicated readers. I'm going to try and go to bed again.

Oh, but there is one bit of good news. The German government has seen fit to finance my crazy scientific goals for three whole years! I'll be my own boss! I'll have something resembling my own lab! And best of all, it's only a 10 minute bikeride from my house. I'm making light of this event because it's late and I'm a little loopy. But it really is a huge relief to have found a good position here in Berlin. As I mentioned in previous posts, I've been stressing about work something for the last several months, and now it is all sorted out. Woo hoo!

Now if I can just remember how to turn the light above the oven off. Dougie, can you help me with that?

5 comments:

jack "php" the dripper said...

we have there all the best elements for an horror movie

chocolate
beer
a forrest
a weird aussie
a bike
and an army of plastic dinosaurs

just to say - think about it two seconds and that will be clear

ah - and i forgot
a german flag

:)

take care - i'm just working on my police story new novel these days... (instead of being my own boss in my own lab :p - that's a great news, buddy)

Douglas said...

Way to go on the funding, chops!

And yeah, that's better. And as someone who has seen those twenty Clark Fork signs "in the flesh" (so to speak), I find that photo funny.

And don't get me started on the grammatical and diction problems of the first paragraph of your post.

And yeah, the oven light:

Just press the buttons many times and then realize they're not the right buttons at all. It's preferable to do this while drunk, when other people are asleep, especially if those people are being kind hosts. I can demonstrate this (again) next time I'm in Berlin, if you like. And I'll probably demonstrate it next time I'm in Berlin even if you don't so much like. It's just how I roll.

Unknown said...

Praise be! I, too, had longed for an update. The tomato-cheddar soup I had for lunch can rest easier in my belly now.

Good news on the job front. Which means I have at least 3 years to get over to Berlin, eh?

jeff said...

yes sal. your window of opportunity has been extended. but don't dilly-dally! the longer you wait the smaller your beer ration becomes.

plus if you take a really long time, we may not let you try to turn off the oven light. which is really the best part about being here.

(ok, i will now stop beating the oven light joke into the ground.)

Douglas said...

The thing about the oven light is, it's resilient. Any number of guests can get shitfaced and try to turn it off. The thing about your beer ration, Sal, is that I go to Berlin a lot more regularly than you do (albeit a lot less regularly than I'd like) and so, um, y'know, that shit be dwindling. You might have to go outside to get drunk enough to try to turn off the oven light with enough aplomb to be beaten like the dead horse I oh so clearly am (beaten like, doug's attempts to turn off the oven light as jokes, are; everything before the semicolon provided for those of you indexing this stuff)