Wednesday 18 July 2007

Old and New Bears

The big white bear here was a gift from Kate for my 33rd birthday this year. He doesn't really have a name yet, but is an integral part of our lives here in Berlin.

The slightly beat up guy in front is Old Poo*, my most beloved stuffed animal as a kid. I knew that my mom had saved him away somewhere, but I haven't seen this guy in over 25(?) years.

I got a care package from home today, discovered him hiding in there, and promptly burst into tears. Couldn't really say why. But now that I think about it (and I'm trying very hard to not be all Hallmark Cardy here) maybe it's always a shock to be reminded that you were a kid once.

*and yes, I recognize the inherent irony that someone as gastro-intestinally challenged as myself should have a stuffed animal named "poo".

1 comment:

brandon said...

i understand those tears...

i washed my pillow "boogy man" one time while i was living in chicago. it was my pillow i slept with for over 25 yrs (boogy man b/c he looks like a secret detective). anyway, when i retrieved him from the drying machine he was completely ripped apart and his guts were all over the floor. his exoskeleton was deflated. i started weeping as if he died...

boogy man is back in action though he thinks he has arthritis.

bzee